Senior Associate, Client Tax Reporting
Vancouver – Job # 3895
Who we are:
Canaccord Genuity (CG) is a leading independent full-service financial services firm, with operations in two principal segments of the securities industry: wealth management and capital markets. CG is driven by an unwavering commitment to build lasting client relationships – we achieve this by generating value for our individual, institutional, and corporate clients through comprehensive wealth management solutions and investment banking services. We are a leading independent wealth management firm in Canada, and the leading mid-market provider of investment banking advisory, equity research, sales and trading services for corporations and institutions.
We pride ourselves on understanding our clients’ needs and finding innovative, bespoke solutions. Our entrepreneurial and friendly team will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and collaboration and strive to eliminate bureaucratic thinking. We’re looking for talented people who thrive in a fast-paced environment and want to have an impact with innovative ideas and best practices.
Come be a part of our Canadian success story and help deliver superior experiences for our clients. At CG, we recognize that diversity across our business strengthens our client relationships and enables more innovative solutions. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. CG provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
Our Canadian operation, Canaccord Genuity Corp., is currently looking for a knowledgeable, organized and detail-oriented Senior Associate who enjoys analyzing and researching issues, to join their Client Tax Reporting team. The incumbent will be required to work overtime as required during the January through April “tax season”.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Liaise with internal departments to investigate incorrect transactions related to tax reporting issues; process and mail out amended tax slips and reports as directed;
- Perform weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual and year-end tax functions;
- Run queries for processing, review data and report incorrect transactions;
- Review and reconcile control accounts to ensure corrections are processed correctly;
- Process withholding tax corrections – non-treaty to treaty rates, and submit for review;
- Prepare letters to accompany amended tax slips to CRA and IRS;
- Validate and submit CRA and IRS tax files and liaise to resolve any outstanding issues;
- Enter tax related data into the CRA or IRS automated web portals;
- Review the uploaded CDS Tax Factors in the Tax Module for accuracy during tax season;
- Perform annual review of International Tax Treaties and update country matrix with any changes;
- Understand client documentation for validity in accordance with CRA, FATCA, IRS and CRS regulations and guidance;
- Assist with managing the FATCA/CRS compliance and understanding of the Automatic Exchange of Information regimes (AEOI);
- Assist with amending the FATCA and CRS error files from CRA and IRS;
- Perform additional duties during peak tax season time, and provide coverage to team members as required;
- Perform additional tasks as assigned.
- Basic understanding and application of US withholding tax and Canadian Non-Resident withholding tax an asset;
- An understanding of the securities industry, products, corporate actions, familiarity with accounting courses, completion of, or enrollment in the CSC an asset;
- Strong reconciliation skills from mathematical, accounting or education background;
- Well organized and extremely detail oriented;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, meet deadlines, prioritize and effectively manage time;
- A keen problem solver who works well independently and in a team environment;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal & written and communication skills;
- Previous client service experience, an asset;
- Familiarity with FATCA, CRS and AEOI reporting and certifications, an asset;
- Familiarity with Canadian, Quebec and IRS tax reporting and tax slips, an asset;
- Familiarity and proficiency with Microsoft Office, most importantly Excel;
- Experience with Dataphile, Hummingbird, CDS and DTCC systems an asset.